New York CPE Requirements
License Renewal Date
Triennial based on date of issuance (current) or birth month (prior to 1/1/1993)
CPE Reporting Period
1/1 to 12/31 annually
CPAs have the following options:
- Complete a minimum of 40 contact hours of acceptable formal continuing education in any of the recognized subject areas; OR,
- Complete a minimum of 24 contact hours of acceptable formal continuing education concentrated in one subject area.
- Approved subject areas are: accounting, attest, auditing, taxation, advisory services, specialized knowledge and applications related to specialized industries, and such other areas appropriately related to the practice of accounting as may be acceptable to the Department.
- Four (4) hours of professional ethics during the three calendar years preceding the license expiration date.
- For registered licensees who choose the 40 hour per calendar year option - the 4 hours of professional ethics may be counted toward the annual contact hour requirement in the calendar year that they are taken.
- For registered licensees who choose the 24 hour calendar year requirement - the 4 hours of professional ethics may be counted toward the 24 credits annual contact hour requirement in the year that they were completed if the hours in professional ethics were taken in the recognized subject area of the concentration.
- Regulatory ethics taken in a licensee's principal jurisdiction to maintain an active license and accepted by the Board to meet the ethics requirements of that state, may also be used toward the New York ethics requirement.
Maximum self-study allowed: 100%
New York State Board for Public Accountancy
State Education Department
Division of Professional Licensing - CPA Unit
89 Washington Avenue
2nd Floor, East Mezzanine
Albany, NY 12234
Phone: (518) 474-3817 ext. 160
Fax: (518) 474-6375
Click here for Board Statutes
PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here.
Sequoia CPE is a Registered New York CPE Self-Study Provider. Our license number is 002786.